Thinking about audience development
Audience development is about identifying who you want to engage with your heritage project, and taking proactive steps to attract and retain their interest. This guidance outlines common barriers and incentives for audiences, and provides advice on setting targets, improving your offer and making people feel welcome. It has a particular focus on developing new and wider audiences for your heritage.
- Our aims
- What do we mean by audience development?
- Why audience development is important
- Taking part – who and why?
- The audience development process
- Understanding your audience
- Setting priorities
- Taking action
- Evaluation – seeing if it works
- What we fund
- Sources of advice and information
- Our grant programmes
Find other recommended reading under further resources.