Collecting Cultures is an initiative which supports museums, libraries and archives to develop their collections through strategic acquisition projects. Grantees plan and deliver programmes of targeted purchase and engage a wider range of people with their collections. Collections management and development is core to museums, libraries and archives so through this initiative we want to support the strategic acquisition of collections.
The programme is now closed for applications.
The initiative is intended to:
- support the development of collections and their use through strategic acquisition programmes, related research and public programmes
- enhance the professional knowledge and skills of staff working in museums, libraries and archives
- use strategic collecting programmes to support the funded museums, libraries and archives to increase resilience as an organisation
You can apply for a grant from £50,000 to £500,000.
You can read more about Collecting Cultures in the application guidance. Your application will have a better chance of success if you read this thoroughly before you apply.
Please read our Collecting Cultures evaluation to find out about the 22 projects we funded in 2008 under the first Collecting Cultures initiative.
Collecting Cultures projects need to contribute towards all of the six outcomes listed below.
Outcomes for heritage
With our investment, heritage will be:
- better managed
- better interpreted and explained
Outcomes for people
With our investment, people will have:
- learnt about heritage
- developed skills
Outcomes for communities
With our investment:
- more people and a wider range of people will have engaged with heritage
- your organisation will be more resilient